What We Believe
Our Past - forgiven. Our Present - with purpose. Our Future - with hope.
Week by week at Queensferry Parish Church we dare to believe and discover that in the midst of an imperfect world, God is present, available for us to turn to and to inspire us. Why not join us as we set out on the great adventure of overcoming the imperfections of living life in this broken and fallen world - we may not get there today but beginning the journey from where you are is always the best place to start.
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
We believe the traditional teachings of Christianity, as revealed in the Bible. These include:
- There is only one God, who is Father, Son and Holy Spirit. God is in control. He created the world, has shown us what he is like, has a plan to save us, and will one day judge the world.
- The Bible is God’s word to us. It is the final word in all matters of behaviour and belief. Jesus Christ is God, but is also a real human; he was born of a virgin, died on the cross, he physically came back to life, and now reigns in heaven and earth.
- Everyone does wrong things; it’s part and parcel of our human nature.
- We can however be forgiven and freed from the guilt, punishment and power of the wrong things we do, but only because of Jesus’ death. Jesus was being punished instead of us, so our wrong has been completely dealt with.
- We do not deserve God’s forgiveness. And not only does God forgive us for everything, but he looks on us as being perfect, just as Jesus was perfect. All this is obtained only by faith.
- God does this through the Holy Spirit acting in people’s lives, turning them away from wrong and towards God, and giving them faith in Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit lives in Christians, changing them so that they live more like Jesus, enabling them to live for Jesus in this world.
- The Church is not a building or an organisation, but is made up of all Christians throughout the world. Jesus is present in the world today through the Church.
- Jesus will one day return.